UPDATED [9th September 2016]
This is a range of assessment activities to assess learners against the Computing Progression Pathways by Computing at School. To use the activities a basic knowledge of Google Forms and Sheets is assumed and guides on these tools are freely available online.
Once purchased you have unlimited use of these resources within your school, they are not limited by number of students and there is no yearly subscription. Once the assessment activities have been purchased they are for sole use by the named school only and may not be shared outside of that organisation. A separate Google Form is set up for each school and any unauthorised sharing may be tracked to the individual concerned.
The Baseline Computing Assessment consists of three student activities and a Teacher’s Tracker spreadsheet. The three student activities consist of the following:
- Baseline Test – This is a self-marking Google Form, it gives students instant feedback with the exception of free text answers as this feature does not exist within the Google Forms framework.
- Scratch Programming Activities – Two teacher-assessed programming activities in Scratch.
- Desktop Publishing Activity – This is a teacher-assessed IT based activity in which students are required to improve and evaluate a given poster.
It is estimated that all assessment activities should be completed in three to four lessons, depending on ability.
The Teacher’s Tracker is an Excel Spreadsheet designed to track learners’ progress. When statements are awarded levels are automatically generated for each strand of the Computing curriculum along with an overall level on the Overview sheet. Strands assessed are as follows:
- Programming & Development
- Data & Data Representation
- Hardware & Processing
- Communication & Networks
- Information Technology
Once the responses from the Baseline Test are copied and pasted into the Teacher’s Tracker, each of the relevant statements is automatically populated and a Computing Level is awarded automatically.
These resources, along with guidance on usage can be purchased using the link below or from the store page. Once you have purchased the resources you will be prompted to provide a valid Google email address and your school name so a Baseline Test can be set up. Please allow 48 hours after purchase for this to be received. All other resources can be downloaded immediately.